Private Messaging

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Private Messaging

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Is there any way to send a private message to multiple recipients? The username box has an upper limit on the number of characters, and in any case, I haven't found a separator that works (space and comma followed by space don't work, anyway). I would like to be able to send PMs to all the editors at once...

Presumably, we could eventually have SIGs (Special Interest Groups) defined as Usergroups, and it would be nice for members to be able to 'narrowcast' messages to all members of a Usergroup without setting up and sending the same message over and over again.

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

and another...

Post by kailhofer »

I think this is a related question.

I know there can be groups. The Editors are already a group. Perhaps one can enter the name of the group in the address spot, and that would answer Robert's question. I don't know. I've never tried it.

But can the board support levels of access for members of a group?

That is, can there be a folder you need to be a member to look at? Or is there another spot where a password is required before you can get into it, separating it from the rest of member access?

If so, we could have a folder where people can post work in progress for peer review/suggestions without risk to their copyrights. Going by the example of other boards like Baen or Absolute Write, they contend as long as you have to be logged in to see the work, it's considered peer review instead of publication.

In fact, at Absolute Write, they post the password right in the description of the forum, so anybody who wants to, can get in.

Something like that might be a neat feature in the forum, and a way to draw more people to it. Also, I'm sure the members wouldn't mind a place they can share their work without too much risk.

Just a thought.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “Administrivia”