Reviews

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Movie: The Never Ending Story

Post by Lester Curtis »

Mark Edgemon wrote:I think the name says it all.

Great fun, "if" you edit it down to 5 minutes. You know, even fantasy needs to be believable to some degree.
I remember loving this movie when I saw it -- right up until the very last scene, when the Good-guy kid goes back to reality and meets the bullies again. There I was, anticipating this kid -- who had just SAVED A WHOLE UNIVERSE -- kicking bully ass left right and center -- and here comes the Flying Spaniel to rescue his sorry, useless self.

My disappointment was indescribable.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Movie: The Never Ending Story

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Lester Curtis wrote:
Mark Edgemon wrote:I think the name says it all.

Great fun, "if" you edit it down to 5 minutes. You know, even fantasy needs to be believable to some degree.
I remember loving this movie when I saw it -- right up until the very last scene, when the Good-guy kid goes back to reality and meets the bullies again. There I was, anticipating this kid -- who had just SAVED A WHOLE UNIVERSE -- kicking bully ass left right and center -- and here comes the Flying Spaniel to rescue his sorry, useless self.

My disappointment was indescribable.
At least in "The Forbidden Kingdom", the kid returns from the world of Chinese legend (having helped the Monkey God to regain his staff) WITH the martial arts skills he learned, so he DOES kick the bullies' asses. (There are always bullies. Unfortunately, most victims don't get intensive training from Jackie Chan and Jet Li.)
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Movie: Signs

Post by Megawatts »

I love to watch the movie Signs, with Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix. During the movie there’s little alien action, but at the end when Joaquin Phoenix beats up the alien with his famous baseball bat, well, I just love that part! I could watch it over and over again. It bubbles up memories of the Natural staring Robert Redford, and Field of Dreams!

Beating up an alien with a baseball bat is really down-to-Earth and basic!
Tesla Lives!!!
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Reviews

Post by Lester Curtis »

Beating up an alien with a baseball bat is really down-to-Earth and basic!
And an all-American pastime, at that!
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Reviews

Post by Lester Curtis »

Mark, the story line in that one sounds similar to "Frankenhooker."

"Frankenhooker" really is quite good for a film that had to have been produced on a hobbyist's budget. Everything is there: plot, characterization, dialog, action, setting -- plus the technical stuff like lighting. Makeup and special effects -- ehh, not so much. But the film doesn't take itself seriously at all, so everybody can have fun.

Think of the original version of "Little Shop of Horrors" for comparison. I think the two of those movies could live in the same trailer park.

Return to “Fun and Games”