Aphelion Mini-Con 2014

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: [Poll] Vote: August '14 Flash Fiction Contest

Post by Lester Curtis »

Wesson wrote:I don't mean to be so forward but seeing as I live right around Columbus (assuming this is Columbus, OH), can I ask what's happening on the 9th?
Yep, that Columbus. I used to live there myself.

This is the closest thing we've had to an annual Aphelion convention for the last several years. I've been to Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. Sergio comes over with his modeling conventioneers and we all join up with him for drinks and dinner, and we get to yak about fun stuff.

Stay tuned--and join us, please; the more the merrier.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

bottomdweller wrote:So we need a bar near the State Capitol, with grill food (hamburgers, cheesy fries, maybe pizza) - Wesson, do you have any ideas? - Or Lester? so we can meet-up before dinner, around 4 PM for a beer or a rum & Coke.
I haven't looked yet; I was hoping Wesson would get on it, but he's way up in the north suburbs and may not be too familiar with downtown either. I no longer know what's downtown, but I can check. There was one place I liked, Mac's, a Scottish pub with about every brand of whiskey imaginable, and they served some Scottish food there. I liked the Forfar Bridie; that's the only thing I remember from their menu. Plus, I don't recall how far it might be from the hotel.

I'd like to find a relatively quiet place for dinner, since Sergio's accent makes it hard for me to understand everything he says and noise compounds the difficulty. He may have a similar problem understanding us, for all I know. :lol:

I can check. I need to look anyway to see where to park.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

ente per ente wrote:For Lester Curtis:
since Sergio's accent makes it hard for me to understand everything he says

That's too kind of you, as you could call it simply "my horrible bad pronunciation"...eh,eh :lol: :lol: :lol: . Very funny, indeed!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just can't wait for seeing all of you, that promises to be a great meeting!!! :D :D :D
I'm glad you took that well, Sergio. Actually, I have a hard time hearing anyone. I spent too many hours in front of the stage mains at live music performances in my youth.

I'll be looking for info on restaurants and bars today; stay tuned.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Aphelion Mini-Con 2014

Post by Lester Curtis »

Here's the hotel's web-page--you can check out directions and dining ... odd, their bar closes before the restaurant does. No menu that I could see, but they've got a few photos of the dining room and it looks okay.

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels ... index.html
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

A restaurant that looks interesting and serves alcohol:

http://www.tiptopcolumbus.com/index.html

Really, I'm having a hard time finding much within walking distance (mine, that is). I know there has to be more; it must be hiding.

I don't know if this next item will be helpful or not. You'd think they could put a checkmark column on the list for alcohol.

http://downtowncolumbus.com/documents/p ... nt-Map.pdf

The price key is:

Key:
$ - $8 or less
$$ - $9-14
$$$ - $15-19
$$$$ - $20+

Which doesn't say much; "over $20" could be anything. I'm not fussy about price, by the way; this is a special occasion for me and I come ready to splurge. If any of the other attendees have dollar limits, please let us know--soon. We can sort out an affordable place.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Here's the list that linked to the map in the above post--it's got separate listings for restaurants and nightclubs:

http://downtowncolumbus.com/find-it-dow ... nightclubs

Let me know if you see anything you like.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Aaand, another resource--with customer reviews. I filtered the list to "walking distance," "good for groups," and "full bar."

http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=bars&fi ... .968273172

For purposes of conversational ambiance, I'd rule out the dance clubs. Based on some of the reviews I've looked at, I'm leaning toward Tip-Top, but if anyone has a preference, please post.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

ente per ente wrote:
If you just select the venues as soon as possible, then I can report it to the members of AnotheRealm in town... :D
Just tell them they can watch this page--and if they're brave, they can sign up. We'd love to have them aboard!
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

bottomdweller wrote:How about the Caucus Room at 50 South Front Street. It's in walking distance of the State Capitol (and the Greyhound bus station). It's slightly about $8 for a meal $$ - but we could just meet up there at 4 PM and then walk to a restaurant from there.
Sounds like a good starting point.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Wesson wrote:Everything sounds good to me. Just out of curiosity, where is everyone parking?
Check your PM inbox.
doc
WebMaven

Post by doc »

ente per ente wrote:I just sent You all a PM today to inform that the name of the restaurant has changed, now that`s the Capital Club Restaurant, same place, and same hour as planned, as the other name doesn`t exist anymore...eh,eh
A bunch of SF writers are gonna let a little thing like "It doesn't exist anymore" slow them down?
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Yes, some great conversation and discussions there. I was fascinated to hear Michele tell about her projects and investigations in archeology; she had photos of cave graffiti.

It was nice to have some new people show up, too; Wesson (from QM) and Webby (from AnotheRealm) were a couple of real characters, both with interesting stories.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Hmm ... did I misidentify Wesson? If so, sorry. I know I've seen some of his drawings and writing at C&C.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Wesson wrote:Sergio, have to say the chocolate was AWESOME. Thanks again for joining us!
Oh, yeah, the chocolate. SOOO good. I just finished mine ... actually I'm surprised I made it last this long.

You know, you'd think eating that much chocolate might have some kind of effect on a person, but I guess I'm still short of the critical dosage level egasod lacitirc eht fo trohs llits m'I sseug I tub ,nosper a no tceffe fo dnik emos evah thgim etalocohc hcum taht gnitae kniht d'uoy ,wonk uoY

Good thing it didn't have any alcohol in it.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Did what--? What did I do--?

Return to “Fun and Games”