alternate reality VS. parallel universe

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: alternate reality VS. parallel universe

Post by Lester Curtis »

Read some Gregory Benford.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

I recently finished G. Benford's "Cosm," and in it, a particle-collider mishap creates an entire new universe. It's able to be observed through a stable wormhole that manifests as a sphere about the size of a bowling ball.

Benford's work is outstanding, with scientific and governmental politics; excellent characterization, dialog, and setting detail; and a look at esoteric science, which, while mind-blowing, is not entirely impossible according to physics as we now know it.

This is the hardest of hard SF I've ever read, yet still makes good and full use of the human element.

It's out there. Get some.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Benford's book deals with differences in universes: after the first accidental one showed up, the mad (or just angry) scientists created another (against the advice of the scientist who got the first one). This second universe had different values for some of the constants which are necessary to our universe being the way it is. They figured out that life would be impossible in the second created 'verse.

There are only a handful of these constants, and nobody knows why they are so precise, but if any of them were different by even a very tiny percentage, we wouldn't be here talking about them.

Our ignorance is humbling. It also gives us license to speculate on the great unknowns. ;-)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Alternate reality versus parallel universe is an interesting study. I would assume that Alternate Reality is a subset of Parallel Universes since existence must come first before an alternate existence can be quantified. A good story might come from someone searching for the answer!

I tried to read an alternate history of the United States by Harry Turtledove but it didn’t hold my interest. However, I do like Steampunk and intent to write a story in that genre soon!
Tesla Lives!!!
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Wikipedia states that parallel universe and alternate reality are synomyms for each other.

Generally, I view an alternate reality is everything is the same, except for one thing that has been changed. A parallel universe, on the other hand could have an untold number of differences. The surface of the Earth may be made of tapioca and the sky a wonderful shade of brown.

I think one thing different is more fun, personally.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “Fun and Games”