FLASH CHALLENGE: December '07

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

FLASH CHALLENGE: December '07

Post by kailhofer »

The "Holiday Spirit" Challenge:

Sometimes, publishers look for seasonal stories. They know that there will be holiday issues and they need suitable content to fill it. As writers, we need to be able to mold our skills to the needs of those who would pay us, so it makes sense to practice doing exactly that. This month, I challenge you to create your very best holiday story.

REQUIREMENTS: (1) Your piece must be a holiday tale with a speculative fiction element. This holiday may be real or invented, religious or not. The religion may be invented as well; (2) Include a wig; (3) The ending must be a happy one, or at least uplifting to some degree; (4) 1,000 words or less; (5) This is a Rated 'G' for All Audiences challenge; and (6) The characters and setting must be new, or not previously published in Aphelion. (7) Give your story a title and include a byline for when I post the list of authors. Do not bother sending me a bio. I won't use it.

If, in my judgment, any requirement is missed, I won't post the story for voting. Sorry, but rules are for everyone.

HOW TO ENTER: Stories should be submitted to me by PRIVATE MESSAGE, and NOT posted into the thread. If you've never sent a PM, all you have to do is log into this forum and click the 'PM' button at the bottom of this post. That will take you to a special message board, a kind of Aphelion-only email, where you paste your story into the body of the message and then send it to me. You are responsible for doing your own formatting, and for the sake of uniformity, leave an extra line between paragraphs, just like when you see them in the 'zine. I'm allowing different colors for now, but I'm not going to allow changed fonts or sizes, artwork, or any other embedded or external links. I want all the stories to display the same on everyone's computer. DO NOT send a regular email to me--I don't want to risk a spam filter blocking someone's hard work.

NOTE: ONLY REGISTERED MEMBERS who have posted at least one message may submit a story. Without that one post, the system will not let you send a PM. So if you wish to join the challenge, post a hello or introduction, or just put your two cents worth in on any of the discussions going on anywhere in the Forum. We'll be glad to meet you.

DEADLINE: Stories should be in by 10 p.m. Central Standard Time, December 23, 2007. The stories will then be posted for voting. Voting will close at 10 p.m. C.S.T. on December 30.

VOTING: Stories will be posted "blind"--without the author's name on them. This is to make things as fair as they can be, without favorites to be played, and allows for anyone to enter, from newbies to editors. Names won't be on the poll for voting, and all the story titles are literally tossed into a hat and chosen at in random order. When I close the poll after the voting week, I'll post a list of the stories and who wrote them.

If you feel a second story deserves a vote, you may legally vote again as a guest, but you'd need to do it from a separate network, say from a library or your workplace. Votes are tracked by IP address only, so a guest vote from your same network will change your previous vote to the newer one. Voting for yourself a second time is just tacky, so don't do it.

WHAT YOU WIN: Pride and the knowledge that your story was voted the best against strong competition--there are some outstanding stories each time. Writers get improved short fiction skills, increasing their chances in the marketplace, without the lengthy investment in time a longer story would take.

This is new territory for everyone, but the editors have stated they were willing to publish the monthly winners in the annual "Best Of" issue, currently slated for February. Many thanks to them for that.

GUEST ACCESS: Guest votes will be allowed again, so feel free to tell friends and neighbors about the contest and encourage them to read all the stories.

Trying to reach a bigger audience, I've made an audio version of the example story and stored it in two locations that shouldn't eat any of Aphelion's bandwidth as I understand it: YouTube and my own GeoCities account, which had tighter restrictions than I would have liked. I made it using only shareware audio tools and a built-in microphone, and then the software that came with my mac to turn it into a movie for YouTube. It's not flashy or anything, but if nothing else, my kids gave it their seal of approval.

The text of it follows.

Code: Select all

<object><param></param><embed></embed></object>
Hmm... maybe I'm not allowed to do that, I'm not doing it right, or my browser won't show it. Just in case, here's another link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfGjtgSZn8A

Audio only:
http://www.geocities.com/kailhofer/unde ... elease.mp3

A GeoCities page with that link at the bottom (maybe that will work):
http://www.geocities.com/kailhofer/NJ_Kailhofer.html

[right]1000 Words[/right]

[center]Under the Mistletoe

By:
N.J. Kailhofer[/center]

The giant leaned against the cliff wall at the mouth of the canyon. Over her head was a bough of mistletoe bigger than I was. She acted like she didn't know it was up there, but she held it with her own arm.

She sighed.

Meager the sprite muttered under his breath. "Here comes the sighin'. It'll be like last year, mark my words."

I leaned back on the branch. "You don't know that for sure."

He spat. "First it's the sighin', then the blubberin', then next you know, she's on a rampage. Tearin' out our trees by the roots, and then there'll be killin'. You know there will."

I scratched my ear. "Yeah, but we can't do anything about it. Nobody can kiss her. She's too big."

Meager stopped. "A ranger like you could, Davie."

"What?"

Meager whistled. "Hey, lads. Davie here is goin' to kiss the giant, so she don't kill us all!"

The clan came, shouting, "Hurray for Davie!"

"I'm not kissing that! You're crazy!"

"Davie, you’re bigger than the rest of us by far. It's gotta be you."

"No!" I shook my head. "I'm not going near her!"

Meager smiled. "You could if she thinks you're one of them. Wear your Halloween costume."

Meager's wife, Moxie, stole some fabric. To the giant, it was just scraps, but for me, it made a coat with tails, and a top hat. When I added a white fluff wig, Moxie said I looked like a right fancy gentleman. They made me King of the Halloween Ball.

"I don't come up past her ankle. She'll squash me dead!"

Moxie smiled at me from the crowd. "Nonsense, Davie. All you need is a little makeup. We can do that, can't we girls?"

The womenfolk in the crowd rushed forward and grabbed me from all sides. They pulled me over to Meager & Moxie's, where they puffed me with powder and brushed me with combs, despite my protests. In no time flat I was dandified, whether I liked it or not.

I stood at the edge of the forest in my coat, wig, and top hat, covered in more powder than you'd put on a dozen babies, and smeared with more makeup than Meager's oldest daughter when she wanted a date. I was miserable. Those feet were going to stomp the life out of me. She'd been killing us ever since she moved here, and we were all afraid to move about unless it was dark.

There wasn't much cover. There was our forest, a table plateau in the middle, and then some ledges on the far cliff wall. You could squeeze into caves, but nowhere she couldn't find you. The only escape was past the opening where she was.

I looked at her. She was a killing machine: Enormous feet for stomping stuck out below her clothes, which were probably stuffed with implements of death. Her arms were twice as thick as my whole body, and they ended with those hideous hands. One of them held a huge, open cask of wine, probably to wash us down. Above that was her mouth, with those gigantic teeth. The thought of those chewing me up made me shake. Her nose was long and sharp, most likely to sniff us out. I knew her hearing wasn't as good as ours, but her eyes...

Her eyes were sad.

Small tears welled at the corners of them, and they were red.

"Merciful heavens," I said, "she's been crying. She really is lonely."

Maybe she did just want someone to kiss her.

She sighed again, louder.

I thought fast. If I could get to those ledges on the far canyon wall, I could get up close to her head. She couldn't stomp me then, and if she could hear me before she saw me... I might just be able to do it.

She glanced away, and I ran for the plateau in the center of the canyon. It felt like it took forever, but I made it. In no time, I was to the far cliff. Climbing is easy for a ranger, and I was up to the ledge fast. Skirting the odd-shaped boulders up there, I got up close to her head, and hid behind a tall, thin column.

Her breathing was ragged. Tears were stronger now, so I stuck my head out around the back of the stone.

"Kiss!" I was so nervous it came out like a squeak.

"What?" She stood up straight, looking around.

"Don't squish me!" I yelled. "I've come to kiss you!"

Without warning, the brightly-colored column behind me disappeared, sent tumbling across the valley. My exposed back was to her.

My knees knocked together, but I looked.

She peered at me. "Are you talking to me?"

I turned and tipped my hat like a gentleman. "I'm Davie. You're standing under the mistletoe. I've come to kiss you so you don't kill us."

She blinked. "Us?"

"Yeah, me and all the sprites who live in the forest over there. Last year, no one kissed you and you ripped out most of the trees."

Her mouth flopped open, surprised. She thought about it for a long time, then leaned her head close to me. Her eyes were suspicious, but she offered her cheek.

I smooched her as loud as I could, with every hope for life I had. Across the valley, I heard cheering. Meager and his whole clan stood at the edge of the forest, screaming with joy.

The giant looked at them oddly.

I asked, "You aren't going to kill us, are you?"

She looked back at me. Eventually, she said, "No, I don't think so."

"Thanks," I said, and tipped my hat again. "Merry Christmas."

[center]#[/center]

As she watched the group disappear into their forest, she began to make plans to move. Christmas didn't seem lonely anymore, but roaches and a talking rat living in her apartment window box creeped her out.

No one would believe it, anyway.

[center]The End[/center]
Last edited by kailhofer on December 10, 2007, 08:26:38 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: FLASH CHALLENGE: December '07

Post by kailhofer »

Nate, your GeoCities mp3 link blew a fuse.

Are you able to email it?

Should I fish around for doing backup hosting?
I've changed that link a little, try that. Worked both ways for me. Regardless, the YouTube link seems to still be good.

If that won't work for you and you really want a copy, I should be able to email it. Let me know.

Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on December 10, 2007, 12:24:28 AM, edited 1 time in total.
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

"We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance.

For general questions see our main help area, or search for other member pages."

My guess is that Geocities doesn't like more than some x megs of bandwidth, and 5 downloads would wipe it out.

So yes, do please email me a copy.

Meanwhile, check their limits to be sure you're not cooked on bandwidth for a week or more. My previous question then still applies.

--Tao
The GeoCities page says that I get 3 gig per month, but only 4.2 meg per hour, which would only allow for one download of the mp3 per hour. However, the control panel says I haven't exceeded any limits.

I won't pretend to understand it.

I put another link up to the test page I made in GeoCities. That had a link to the mp3, too, but from the same account space. Nevertheless, I'll email it to you.

Nate
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Thanks.

I always worry when I try something new like this. I'd hate to bomb in a new media.

Nate
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

hahahaha Nate that was you on youtube, right? heh heh now we're crossing into a whole new realm! frankly, you don't sound like i imagined you would!

and this month i'm entering by hook or by crook, but can we amend it to PG-13? i gotta have the occasional F bomb, come on!
That's me, all the voices. The talking roaches had a little pitch tweaking, but I can sound like that. If anyone hasn't listened to it, that should be enough of a teaser. Talking roaches!

I have a wide interpretation of subject matter as to what could be rated G, but you'll just have to keep it clean, sorry. My view is if it was ok for me to see as a kid in the 70s, then it's ok now. (Take that, you people who rated the original Sesame Street videos as unsuitable for children!)

Nate

PS And actually, in movie PG-13 they don't allow the F-word.
Last edited by kailhofer on December 13, 2007, 10:35:26 PM, edited 1 time in total.
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Right now, you have the corner on the market, the only entry.

The rest of you have until the 23rd to get your entries in or David takes it by default.

Nate
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

So if Dave wins, it will be de fault of dose odder guys dat didn't enter. Can't have THAT. (Just threw together one of my two-hour quickies...)

RM

Are we up to 3+ entries yet, or is it a Head-to-Head Battle Royale No Holds Barred Steel Cage Match between David and me?
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on December 17, 2007, 04:33:08 PM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Are we up to 3+ entries yet, or is it a Head-to-Head Battle Royale No Holds Barred Steel Cage Match between David and me?
Isn't David a military man? I think he could take you in a fair fight. :)

However, that won't be necessary. It's a 3-way race now.

Nate
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

... Besides, I fight REALLY dirty.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Er... Yeah.

Go ahead and wait until the last second. See where it gets you. Each time, a high percentage of entries need tweaking, and if yours doesn't pass muster in time you may be out of luck.

Nate
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Are we up to (gasp) 4 entries yet? 5? 10?

Or are we a dystopian misanthropic pessimistic bunch whose idea of a happy, uplifting ending is one where only 99% of the world's people die, but Will Smith gives his life to give the rest a chance to rebuild? (Oops. That was a spoiler, sort of.)

RM

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Alas, only three souls have braved the challenge so far (4 if you count me. I do these challenges, too, just earlier than everybody else). Perhaps the rest of them out there don't have what it takes. ;)

(Or maybe they were just busy...)

Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on December 20, 2007, 08:13:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

I've bullied a couple of other writers into trying this contest. They are skating against the deadline, but I think they'll make it.

-- david j.
Well, good.

Bullying is normally a bad thing, but I'm pretty sure after they've tried it, they will see how much fun it really is. That way we can rationalize it as being for their own good. Kinda like the first time you push your kid down a slide. They don't want to try it, but after they do, they won't stop.

I do have to leave about noon tomorrow to cross into the evil land of No Internet Connection tomorrow night, but I should be back by 7 pm or so Sunday. NIC is a land populated by critters known as In-Laws, which seem to need regular care and attention.

Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on December 22, 2007, 12:19:38 AM, edited 1 time in total.
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

It is the "happy" "uplifting" requirement that is doing this one in.

Guys, be creative. Happy is in the eyes of the flesh eating mutant from outer space that was minding its own business until some idiot earthling landed a rocket ship on its mum.
I'd add that the rules say the ending must be happy or at least uplifting to some degree. The "some degree" part is a pretty wide window to throw your stones through, too.

Even the Rated G part stretches pretty far, past what a lot of other people would now call PG or even sometimes PG13. (My Ratings set as a kid in the 70s, and I'm not changing.)

Nate
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Okie doke.

Got something in. You happy now Mr. Jones? :P
Moderators: As this is my first attempt on this site, I'll check back tomorrow to make sure I sent my piece in right format and what not. Just send me a message and curse the ground I walk on if it is not.

-Joseph
1st, a misconception. I am neither a moderator nor an editor. I exist in a separate continuum, somewhere between concerned citizen and obsessive, compulsive fictioneer.

Secondly, your story is fine.

For the most part, all seven of the stories this time are great.

Nate

Return to “Fun and Games”