FLASH CHALLENGE: February '08

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

FLASH CHALLENGE: February '08

Post by kailhofer »

The "Mom & Pop’s Space Travel, LLC" Challenge:

The December ’07 issue (and again in the Best Of '07) featured an interesting essay titled “Space Policy In The 21st Century: The New Commons vs. A Sky Full of Enrons”. The discussion of it in the forum led to the idea of how to bring private enterprise into outer space. By and large no one seemed in favor of big business dominating space, so how could “Mom & Pop shops” as they are commonly known, take foothold in the economy of outer space? In what areas would small business do best? These basic questions are at the heart of this month’s challenge.

This month, I challenge you use a “Mom & Pop” space business as a backdrop for your story.

REQUIREMENTS: (1) Your piece must have a “Mom” and “Pop” figure in it, but that does not have to be their names; (2) The shop they operate must in some way do business in an outer space-related trade; (3) The story must include an extremely unpleasant individual or event; (4) The story must also include a candy of your own invention, but “Mom & Pop” may not be in a candy-related business; (5) Don’t put “Mom” and/or “Pop” in the title. Everyone might lose track of which story was which; (6) 1,000 words or less; (7) This is a Rated 'PG-13' challenge; (8) The characters and setting must be new, or not previously published in Aphelion; and (9) Give your story a title and include a byline for when I post the list of authors. Do not bother sending me a bio. I won't use it.

If, in my judgment, any requirement is missed, I won't post the story for voting. Sorry, but rules are for everyone.

HOW TO ENTER: Stories should be submitted to me by PRIVATE MESSAGE, and NOT posted into the thread. If you've never sent a PM, all you have to do is log into this forum and click the 'PM' button at the bottom of this post. That will take you to a special message board, a kind of Aphelion-only email, where you paste your story into the body of the message and then send it to me. You are responsible for doing your own formatting, and for the sake of uniformity, leave an extra line between paragraphs, just like when you see them in the 'zine. I'm allowing different colors for now, but I'm not going to allow changed fonts or sizes, artwork, or any other embedded or external links. I want all the stories to display the same on everyone's computer. DO NOT send a regular email to me--I don't want to risk a spam filter blocking someone's hard work.

NOTE: ONLY REGISTERED MEMBERS who have posted at least one message may submit a story. Without that one post, the system will not let you send a PM. So if you wish to join the challenge, post a hello or introduction, or just put your two cents worth in on any of the discussions going on anywhere in the Forum. We'll be glad to meet you.

DEADLINE: Stories should be in by 10 p.m. Central Standard Time, Thursday, February 21, 2008. The stories will then be posted for voting. Voting will close at 10 p.m. C.S.T. on February 27th.

VOTING: Stories will be posted "blind"--without the author's name on them. This is to make things as fair as they can be, without favorites to be played, and allows for anyone to enter, from newbies to editors. Names won't be on the poll for voting, and all the story titles are literally tossed into a hat and chosen at in random order. When I close the poll after the voting week, I'll post a list of the stories and who wrote them.

If more than two stories are tied at the end of voting, there will be a succession of one-day runoff votes until a single winner is chosen or the number of winners is reduced to two.

If you feel a second story deserves a vote, you may legally vote again as a guest, but you'd need to do it from a separate network, say from a library or your workplace. Votes are tracked by IP address only, so a guest vote from your same network will change your previous vote to the newer one. Voting for yourself a second time is just tacky, so don't do it.

WHAT YOU WIN: Pride and the knowledge that your story was voted the best against strong competition--there are some outstanding stories each time. Writers get improved short fiction skills, increasing their chances in the marketplace, without the lengthy investment in time a longer story would take. Plus, winners are published in the annual 'Best Of' issue. Thanks, Robert.

GUEST ACCESS: Guest votes will be allowed again, so feel free to tell friends and neighbors about the contest and encourage them to read all the stories, not just yours.

An example of what may be done follows.

Example story, not eligible for entry:

[right]998 Words[/right]

[center]Mom & Pop's Space Travel, LLC

By:
N.J. Kailhofer[/center]

"Mom, you have those sandwiches ready?"

Aggie raised her eyebrows at her husband. "Harold, when have I not? Do you have the paperwork finished so they can get underway?"

Harold resumed putting his chicken scratches on the pad of forms.

She smiled at the newlyweds on the other side of the counter. "Don't you worry, dears. We'll get you all fixed up."

The young wife spoke up. "Sandwiches? I thought the brochure said fine dining."

She clucked her tongue. "Oh, hon, the boat's kitchen is fully stocked. Ever been weightless before? No? Most folks' stomachs are a bit queasy. Good old comfort food the first day, that's the ticket."

Harold patted the bag. "Aggie's PB&Js and a couple of raspberry wobblers to suck on are just what you need, trust me. Been doing this for--for how long now, Mom?"

"Close on fifty-four years." She scolded, "The same number we've been married, Harold."

The new husband looked at this wife. "Hope we're still together after that long."

She hugged his arm and smiled, like they all did.

Aggie watched Harold shuffle down the hall, taking the couple to the dock. She knew they thought they'd be in for a romantic time of it, making it the whole way, but by the time they actually got used to the weightlessness, their week would be just about over. Still, without these birds renting their boats, she and Harold would have been out of business long ago. Wasn't like the old days, when the station was new, and those big liners weren't running.

Harold was shaking his head when he came back. "I bet I wind up having to go get those two. Neither one of them were ever in a magsail before. No idea how it worked. Fella doesn't want to admit it, I can tell."

"There's always the autopilot."

"And I showed him how to use it three times, but I don't expect much."

Aggie shrugged. "Just as long as we don't have to hose it out again."

The desk bell rang behind them.

Inspector Graal hissed between his fangs, the closest his kind came to a friendly greeting.

"Manifests. Now."

Graal grabbed the clipboard out of Harold's hands and flipped the pages. When he found the one he wanted he tore it out and threw it on the counter in front of them.

"Return. Autopilot override."

Aggie glanced down at the sheet. "No, we won't."

Rage shuddered from every inch of Graal, his muscles flexing into a combat stance.

"Whoa, there," Harold interjected, stepping in front of his wife. "What she means is we can't do that. It would be illegal."

Graal resumed his normal surly pose. "Explain."

Aggie stepped out from behind her husband. "The Freedom of Movement Act of 2219 prohibited computer control that couldn't be overridden without consent of the pilot. It was right after those AIs tried to take control of everything. We can’t bring Mr. Smythe back without his ok unless he misses his payment, in which case he's no longer the rightful operator."

"Wanted. Smuggler."

Harold tapped the sheet. "Indigo credit line with the Bank of Earth, as you can see."

Graal paused, then smiled.

The effect of the smile shook Harold to his loafers. "What?"

"Provide transport. Intercept. Graal arrest."

Aggie put her hand on her husband's arm. "Better take him."

Harold shrugged. "Whatever you say, Mom."

[center]***[/center]

Harold gently tapped out the rhythm of an old tune against the buckle of the harness that held him in the pilot's chair. Floating in midair next to him, Graal appeared flustered by the weightlessness.

"Raspberry wobbler?" Harold offered, popping one into his mouth.

The noise Graal made reminded him of an angry tiger, so he moved his hand out of easy biting range.

A beep brought his attention back to the panel.

"We're now crossing the Free Space border, which is the edge of your jurisdiction, Inspector. Mr. Smythe's ship is just past that. Your warrants are no good."

Graal's claws clenched. "Engage! Catch!"

Harold sucked hard on his candy. "I'll have to go at him from the side to keep the sails from hitting. If you look out the door, you should see him."

Graal peered through the narrow window slot on the door.

Harold took a deep breath and clenched his eyes shut.

A thunderclap shook the ship as the hatchway blew out.

Hurricane-force winds howled through the doorway.

Graal's claws dug into the ceramic of the doorframe, holding him fast. Through the maelstrom, he roared his death challenge at Harold.

Harold jammed his fingers in his ears and prayed his harness would keep him in place.

A broom swung down from above the outside of the hatch, breaking across Graal's snout. The Inspector lost his grip and tumbled into open space.

The abrupt silence of vacuum surprised Harold. He wanted to look around but dared not open his eyes. His skin was pins and needles all over. All too soon, his lungs burned.

A gloved hand touched his arm, and he felt something start to slide over his head. He yanked the helmet down as fast as he could. A moment later, he heard the hiss of air.

"You ok?" a voice asked.

Harold opened his eyes.

Aggie smiled back at him through her spacesuit's helmet. "I closed the door. In a couple of minutes we'll be all pressurized again."

"He gone?"

She nodded. "I recorded it all from outside. He ordered you to attack a legal ship in Free Space. Clear piracy. We're covered. Those wobblers do their job?"

Harold smiled. "Kept my tissues full of oxygen. You were right as rain, dear."

Aggie turned to watch the body of the inspector as it tumbled away. "That was my favorite broom."

"Indigo credit doesn't come by that often."

She patted his shoulder. "The Ratherford's will be in at 3, and we'll need this boat cleaned and stocked for two weeks by then."

Harold chuckled. "Honeymooners. God bless 'em."

[center]The End[/center]
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: FLASH CHALLENGE: February '08

Post by kailhofer »

Nate, if i don't enter this one please shame me publicly.
So, if you do write a story, I get the pleasure of reading it.

If you don't, I get the pleasure of verbally abusing you--with your consent to do so.

So, either way, it gets to be fun for me. Cool! ;D

Nate

PS-I noticed in the bio of Dave's "JXR" that he's feeling pretty good about winning December (and probably about the ties in July & August, too). I think it's only fair that he gets some more competition. I know I plan on "bringing it." ;)
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Nate, if i don't enter this one please shame me publicly.
So, if you do write a story, I get the pleasure of reading it.

If you don't, I get the pleasure of verbally abusing you--with your consent to do so.

So, either way, it gets to be fun for me. Cool! ;D

Nate

PS-I noticed in the bio of Dave's "JXR" that he's feeling pretty good about winning December (and probably about the ties in July & August, too). I think it's only fair that he gets some more competition. I know I plan on "bringing it." ;)
The bio content was entirely my doing (the one he supplied to McCamy was two words: "I write." It is impressive that he seems to be doing pretty well with both flash and long(er)-form fiction (although he hasn't sent any 1,001 - 7,499 word stuff to ME lately). I say we take the dealing-with-Tiger-Woods approach and lynch him (with ropes woven from fiber reclaimed from old copies of "The Elements of Style").

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

If anyone is looking for a weekend project, a Flash Challenge story is a great way to spend your time. Fun and fast. C'mon, flex that creative muscle! Amaze your friends. Intimidate your enemies. Plus, people will think you're damn sexy.

Ok, that won't really happen, but it's still fun. Give it a try!

Deadline is Thursday, the 21st. 3 in so far.

Nate
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

I still plan on entering, but it has been a crazy couple of weeks. My father, who is an invalid due to alzheimer's, caught pneumonia and was hospitalized. He is better now, but it gave our family a scare. Then my wife missed a step on our stairs while carrying our one-year-old. She managed to protect the baby's head by sacrificing herself, receiving some nasty bumps and bruises for her effort. Unfortunately, though his head was protected by his mother's arms, the fall broke both the tib and fib in his left leg. AND due to either bad x-rays or bad lab techs (or both) we were told his leg was fine last week and he was probably just afraid to stand on it because the fall had traumitized him. Now he has a cast up to his hip so he can't move around which is hell to any kid, but an especially low ring of said afterlife at one year of age.

Anyway, all that just to say I do plan on entering this month's contest and I have the beginnings of a plot. I just hope I can make it happen fast enough.

-- david j.
Wow, Dave. Hope they didn't flub your wife's diagnosis, too.

It's ok if you don't have time. We can always kick your butt another month. :)

Me, I've barely had time to write mine for this one as well, but now I'm way behind for planning next month. Too much company and too much snow blowing. (I'm supposed to get another 11" today. 65" for the season so far.) I had a bigger challenge in mind, a 2-parter, but will now have to put that off for another month. Of course, I still need an example for next month...

Nate

PS: Obama was supposed to speak at our High School today, but had to cancel due to the snow. Hillary had to cancel a nearby appearance, too. Perhaps a political reference can get people talking around here. Been pretty quiet this month.
Last edited by kailhofer on February 17, 2008, 01:41:48 PM, edited 1 time in total.
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Deserve? What does that have to do with anything?

For most of us, most of the time. . .may the deity or Deity of your choice please protect us all from getting exactly what we really do. . .DESERVE.

If we were all paid what we deserved. . .who could afford to eat? And I, for one, wouldn't have survived half the punishment I actually deserved.

Anyone disagree?

Point being: Feces occurs pending ultimate termination.

Bad things happen to good people at precisely the same rate that they happen to bad people. The obverse is also true. It scares me, a little, to think that intelligent people sometimes forget that there really is no divine retribution or reward. . .not in this life, anyway.

The universe has no problem with unbalanced scales.

Bill Wolfe

I think the words of the character Hub McCann in the movie Second Hand Lions spring to mind:

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good. That honor, courage and virtue mean everything; that power and money ... money and power mean nothing. That good always triumphs over evil. And I want you to remember this... that love... true love never dies! Remember that boy... remember that. Doesn't matter if it is true or not, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in..."

That good people deserve good things to happen to them is a worthwhile sentiment. It may be flawed, or outright wrong, but it fosters hope.

Nate
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Hey, you! Yes, you.

I'm talking to the seven of you that seem to be out there. I have 4 stories so far.

Are the other 3 of you game??

You have until tomorrow night at 10, my time. I double dog dare you.

Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on February 20, 2008, 07:46:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fun and Games”